Saturday, October 4, 2014

On September 29, I refused to be defeated, and thought it time to try to make lotion again. I had read an article a few days prior, that lecithin was a natural emulsifier. So I went to my local health food store and bought a bag of granules. I could not find a "recipe" for lotion using lecithin as the emulsifier, so I was just going to wing it...yeah, right! That project was a big fat fail! It is not an accident that there is no picture here...I did not want a reminder! I did learn something from the "experiment" though; If the lotion seems to thin and watery...do not start adding stuff! I ended up with a big glob of curdled goo! By the end of the day, I had almost given up on my quest to make an all natural lotion. Maybe it really could not be done. My next project was hard lotion bars. No water in the mix, so no preservative necessary - pretty much just a few emollient oils prettily scented with essential oils and molded. I made these and scented with sweet orange and ginger essential oils. The smell refreshing, and do a good job of holding moisture in slightly damp skin. On dry skin, they feel kind of oily.
I don't consider these a fail...I like them, my daughter likes them, friends like them. They just aren't lotion....

No comments:

Post a Comment