Saturday, October 4, 2014

So today is October 4...a full 2 weeks after my fist attempt at making lotion. I've been using the dense cream - the result of my first attempt, and the lotion bars, and my skin as never felt better! Why can't I be satisfied? Two reasons..the first because I'm just not wired to quit. The second, because when I asked a Facebook friend who makes her own lotions and soaps, to recommend a comprehensive book on the subject, she told me that she knew of none. You just kind of learn by trial and error. The latter got me to thinking that maybe, just maybe I hadn't trialed and errored enough! Back to my kitchen I went. I soaked my lecithin, weighed and melted my oils...same as before, only this time I would change my blending process AND exercise more patience while doing so. After alternating between blending the dissolved lecithin, and melted oils to the water/green tea, the result was pretty thin - almost like milk. The last time this happened, I foolishly added more shea butter, which resulted in a glob of goo, so I wasn't going down that road again. I remembered that one blogger had written that it can take up to 20 minutes with an immersion blender to get the right consistency, so on I blended.
Today, I am doing a happy dance! I finally got something that actually looks like lotion! It feels like lotion too! It has been 5 hours since I finished, and it shows no sign of separation.
Now to see if the willow bark extract, vitamin E oil, and ascorbic acid are enough to preserve it for a few weeks. I'll report back with my non-scientific results....

No comments:

Post a Comment